Some of the facts about electronics product…
1. 80 to 85% of electronic products were discarded in landfills or incinerators, which can release certain toxics into the air.
2. Cell phones and other electronic items contain high amounts of precious metals like gold or silver. Americans dump phones containing over $60 million in gold/silver every year.
3. Only 12.5% of e-waste is currently recycled.
4. For every 1 million cell phones that are recycled, 35,274 lbs of copper, 772 lbs of silver, 75 lbs of gold, and 33 lbs of palladium can be recovered.
5. Recycling 1 million laptops saves the energy equivalent to the electricity used by 3,657 U.S. homes in a year.
6. Electronic items that are considered to be hazardous include, but are not limited to:Televisions and computer monitors that contain cathode ray tubes, LCD desktop monitors, LCD televisions, Plasma televisions, Portable DVD players with LCD screens.
By : Abhishek Singh, KIIT University